Saturday, October 29, 2005

Zen and the Art of Living Alone



“Brown rice, green tea and meditation build patience”, the master once told me. “Each breath is a lifetime,” he said on another occasion. These things I contemplate while listening to the stream flow past the Jade-colored Buddha statue in the garden. Maybe there is a Haiku or Tanka there; I’m certain there is.
I once introduced a sweetheart to the Way of Zen.
“All this organic gardening, sand raking, tai chi, meditation and asking about the sound of one hand clapping or the color of the wind, I just don’t get it, what’s the point” She said one day.
“It may take time,” I responded, then read a quote from D.H. Lawrence:
“Life and love are life and love, a bunch of violets is a bunch of violets, and to drag in a point is to ruin everything. Live and let live, love and let love, flower and fade, and follow the natural curve, which flows on, pointless.”
As it turned out, she must not have understood, for she moved back to the city before the end of summer.

No comments: