Monday, October 31, 2005

Another Building?



This past weekend found me on the north part of the property thinning trees. The border and been left “natural” as a buffer from the county road, and a little thinning to improve forest heath and diversity was warranted. There are a number of lodgepole pine that have survived both crowding and the bug kill of recent years, and it was long past time to clean up their competitors. There were also dozens of small Douglas fir that have little chance of survival; those too had to come out. After a couple hours of cutting and dragging and piling slash, I noticed an almost level spot of land and decided to take a break and look at it more closely. From that spot there was an inspiring view of the lake, and being higher than the surrounding land, one could see the mountains through the trees. Not really intending to go any further I set rocks to mark the corners of a theoretical building, A perfect place for a studio, I thought.
After more cutting and piling I returned to the spot, this time admiring the view even more and standing at various points imagining the best place for a porch, windows and doors. I finished the thinning project as the sun set, but I continued to think about the potential for another building there.

The next morning I was out with a mason’s line, a bucket of stakes, a hammer and a thirty-foot steel tape. My intent was just mark a rectangle, to see what a good building orientation would be. But before long I had the grub hoe in hand and was digging away the high spots and filling in the low, the shovel and rake followed, then the pick and palansky to cut tree roots. I worked for a couple hours, and stopped when the land was level enough to get an idea how a studio would fit there. I walked it and looked at it from every angle, both close and far, and know it to be a perfect place to build.
Now the problem, I don’t need a studio, or guest house or any more outbuildings there is already plenty of room in the main house that meets all my needs perfectly. I certainly don’t need the expense of putting up another building and then there are the taxes, I certainly don’t need that increase, and then there are a few things that will requre expensive equipment. In summary, I don’t know why I am starting this project now with winter coming. Could it be some basic urge man has to continue to build, to progress, to envision, create and make manifest? Must be, because I am on my way back out with a chain and come-along to pull stumps.

No comments: